India PM vows support after deadly landslide


Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday visited the site of landslides that killed more than 200 people last month, vowing to extend “every possible support” to those who lost homes and loved ones.

Torrential monsoon rains battered the southern coastal state of Kerala and triggered landslides on July 30, burying homes and people in Wayanad district under tonnes of rock and soil.

Fatal floods and landslides have increased in recent years and experts say climate change is exacerbating the problem.

Wayanad is known for the tea estates that criss-cross its hilly countryside and which rely on a large pool of labourers for planting and harvest. Many of the victims of the landslide were workers and their families, who were asleep in row houses with brick walls when a wave of brown sludge inundated them.

Leader of the opposition Rahul Gandhi, who used to represent Wayanad as a member of parliament, said Modi’s visit was “a good decision” and called on him to declare a national disaster.

Modi also visited camps where those who fled the landslides are recovering as well as hospitals.

“I want to assure the families of the deceased that they are not alone,” he added, saying funds for relief or rehabilitation work would be provided.

Monsoon rains from June to September offer respite from the summer heat and are crucial for agriculture and replenishing water supplies, but they also bring regular destruction. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Narendra Modi , landslide

Next In Aseanplus News

Myitkyina Airport in Myanmar attacked by drone, MNA Airlines passenger plane hit
Ramadan buffet promotion in Brunei requires Halal certification
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Indonesian police probe Rp 25 trillion money laundering linked to illegal gold mining in West Kalimantan
China youth ditch fast living to become ‘old-school humans’; stories get 1 billion views online
Body of drowned Chinese national found
Audrey Fang case: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
All govt agencies mobilised to assist flood victims in Sabah, says Zahid
Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset

Others Also Read