Vietnamese man sentenced to 44 years for plotting suicide attack at London's Heathrow


WASHINGTON: A Vietnamese man was sentenced to 44 years in prison for attempting to carry out a suicide attack at Heathrow International Airport in London, the US Department of Justice said on Tuesday (Feb 3).

Minh Quang Pham, 41, who was alleged to have travelled to Yemen to receive military training from al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, had previously pleaded guilty charges that included providing material support to the group.

US Attorney for the Southern District of New York Danielle R. Sassoon described his actions not only as an affront to the safety of the U.S. "but to the principles of peace and security that we hold dear."

"Today’s sentencing underscores our collective resolve to stop terrorism before it occurs, and place would-be terrorists in prison," Sassoon said in a statement.

The Justice Department said Pham traveled from the United Kingdom to Yemen in December 2010 and took an oath of allegiance to the militant group, which the United States lists as a terrorist organization.

He spent a year in Yemen, where he received "military-type" training and helped prepare the group's magazine, Inspire, working directly with Samir Khan, a US citizen who served as its editor and died in a US drone strike in 2011, according to the department.

Pham was arrested by British authorities in 2011 and extradited to the United States four years later to face terrorism charges, it added. - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Heathrow , airport , Vietnamese , jail , suicide , attack

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesian crew member dies in cruise ship blaze
Kim opens rare party congress
Fresh faces campaign on anti-corruption platform
Call for ‘human control’ of AI
Takaichi vows growth push, defence reset
Pakistan, US sign pact to redevelop Roosevelt Hotel
Yoon remains defiant after life term
Thai police go undercover as lion dancers to nab burglar
Prabowo clinches US trade deal, slashing tariffs to 19%
Former leader Duterte faces pre-trial ICC hearing

Others Also Read