
The fire that completely destroyed the Foremart garment factory in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district last week was caused by poor wiring. Phnom Penh Police
PHNOM PENH: “Electrical Malfunction” was the cause of the fire that destroyed the Foremart garment factory in Phnom Penh’s Dangkor district last Tuesday (Feb 11).
Although the fire did not result in any injuries or fatalities, it caused over 400 workers to lose their jobs.
However, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training, along with the factory, announced that workers would receive wages and other benefits starting Thursday morning this week.
On Monday (Feb 17), Chim Sitha, Dangkor district police chief, told The Post that a three-day investigation had determined the cause of the fire.
“After a thorough inspection, a technical team from the Ministry and other specialists have concluded that the fire was caused by an electrical malfunction.
After a three-day inspection and review which included analysis of camera footage, this is our conclusion,” he said.
However, the extent of the damage caused by the fire, which completely destroyed the factory, is still unclear.
As for plans to rebuild, it will depend on negotiations between the landowner and the factory, which is a private matter between the two parties, he added.
The labour ministry has informed the workers who were affected by the fire that the ministry will cooperate with the factory to begin providing wages and other benefits to them at the Dangkor District Hall in Phnom Penh from 8am on Thursday, Feb 20.
The workers are required to bring their worker ID, employment contract, work book, or NSSF membership card, along with a Cambodian national ID card or passport.
Additionally, they should bring their monthly pay slips, if available.
The ministry has urged any workers who have not yet found new employment to take advantage of the job opportunities available at the mobile employment centre of the National Employment Agency (NEA) – stationed at the Fore Mart factory site – or visit the NEA office located at the ministry headquarters.
The fire broke out at around 6.30pm on Feb 11, and was not brought under control until around 11pm. More than 50 fire appliances battled the blaze, using more than 700 cubic metres of water.
The factory was owned by Yoo Miwol, a 51-year-old South Korean national. The building, made of reinforced concrete, covered an area of 10,000sq m. - The Phnom Penh Post/ANN