Evicted Bidor farmers get some relief in court


IPOH: A group of farmers, evicted from their farms in Bidor Coldstream last month, can now return to tend to their livestock and crops pending their application to intervene as defendants in a court case.

High Court judge Justice Bhupindar Singh Gurcharan Singh Preet granted the consent order to the farmers yesterday after setting aside a summary possession order obtained by plaintiff Bikam Maju Sdn Bhd.

Counsel Ng Kian Nam, representing the farmers, said the consent order was granted with the agreement of Bikam Maju.

Ng said the owner of the 67.2ha farmland is Perak State Agriculture Development Corporation (SADC).

He said Bikam Maju claims it got the tenancy lease agreement from SADC.

Ng said in the order it was stated that the 18 farmers represented by his law firm are allowed to return to the land to collect their crops or livestock as usual.

Lawyer Melvin Kong, from Ng’s firm, represented the farmers in court yesterday.

Group sweeps business awards

Ng said on Aug 24, about 10 people appointed by the plaintiff had entered the land to evict the farmers and unlawfully collected their crops and livestock.

Jasbeer Singh, a spokesman for the farmers, said they were relieved to be able to go back to their farms.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read


All Headlines:

Want to listen to full audio?

Unlock unlimited access to enjoy personalise features on the TheStar.com.my

Already a member? Log In