Gathering in Perak was illegal, say cops


IPOH: Those involved in what the police said was an illegal gathering around the leaning tower of Teluk Intan, following the controversial waving of Chinese flags there last week, will be called to give their statements.

Perak police chief Comm Datuk Azizi Mat Aris said the incident at about 6pm on Saturday saw between 300 and 400 people from several non-governmental organisations, PAS and local residents congregating there with Perak PAS commissioner Razman Zakaria delivering a speech.

Comm Azizi added that the police officer stationed at the tower area had alerted his superiors to the event.

“It was held to fly the Jalur Gemilang, sing patriotic songs, as the state PAS commissioner delivered a speech.

“The police were not informed prior to the gathering, and due to that, the case will be investigated under Section 9(1) of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012,” he said in a statement yesterday.

He said those involved would be called to have their statements recorded.

“We are warning and advising the public not to be part of any gathering that can disrupt public order,” he said.

GWM Haval H6 HEV: The hybrid SUV that redefines fuel efficiency

“Anyone who wishes to hold any sort of gathering must put in their application to the police 10 days prior to the event.”

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Teluk Intan , Perak , Chinese Flag , Guan Gong , PAS , Police

Others Also Read


Want to listen to full audio?

Unlock unlimited access to enjoy personalise features on the TheStar.com.my

Already a member? Log In