High Court allows ex-PHEB director to withdraw remand review application, says matter academic


GEORGE TOWN: A High Court here has allowed a former executive director of the Penang Hindu Endowment Board, who was remanded by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) for power abuse to withdraw his application for revision of the six-day remand order by a Magistrate's Court here.

Judge Rofiah Mohamad said the application had already become academic because the applicant had already been released from MACC custody on Dec 6.

"This application has become academic," said Judge Rofiah.

The individual, was brought to the MACC office for questioning on Wednesday (Dec 4) where he was detained.

On the following day, on Thursday (Dec 5), he was remanded for six days to allow the MACC to conduct investigations pertaining to allegations abusing his position to obtain about RM300,000 in money related to the purchase of a golden chariot.

The 73-year-old, who holds a "Datuk" title, was released at 2pm on Friday (Dec 6) after spending one night in custody.

Present during the hearing was the suspect's lawyer Roshunraj Rajendran.

BILL FOR A BRIGHTER FUTURE

He had earlier argued that that the remand period was excessive and unjustified, especially given his client's health concerns.

MACC Deputy Public Prosecutors Noor Azura Zulkiflee and Afiqa Liyana Rozman appeared for the prosecution team.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
PHEB , Director , Remand , Graft , Applciation , Academic , High Court

Others Also Read


Want to listen to full audio?

Unlock unlimited access to enjoy personalise features on the TheStar.com.my

Already a member? Log In