Improving ETS service: 10 new trains acquired, 50 more on the way, says Hasbi


KUALA LUMPUR: The government has acquired 10 new train sets for the Electric Train Service (ETS), which is expected to be operational in the first quarter of next year, says Datuk Hasbi Habibollah.

The Deputy Transport Minister said this is part of efforts implemented by the ministry together with its agencies, such as the Railway Assets Corporation (RAC) and Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB), to ensure safe and efficient ETS services for passengers.

"The ministry is very concerned about the high demand from users for ETS. Currently, 10 existing ETS train sets are undergoing level four maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO), which is scheduled to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2025.

"This is to ensure that these electric trains are in the best condition and reliable for ETS operations. MRO level three and four works will continue for the remaining 14 ETS train sets currently in operation, starting in the first quarter of 2025," he said during the question and answer session in the Dewan Negara on Wednesday (Dec 18).

He was responding to a question from Senator Baharuddin Ahmad, who wanted to know the ETS passenger statistics this year, particularly for destinations to Perlis, and the government's efforts to improve the ETS service, which has become the preferred choice for the public, especially during festive seasons and school holidays.

To meet the high demand for the service, Hasbi said the government is also procuring 50 additional train sets, comprising Electric Multiple Units (EMU) and Diesel Multiple Units (DMU).

Additionally, he said KTMB also provides extra trains, especially during festive seasons and school holidays, particularly for the KL Sentral-Padang Besar route, to meet the high demand for travel to and from the northern sector every year.

In response to Baharuddin's question about ETS passenger statistics in Perlis, he said that there are two railway stations served by ETS trains in the state, namely the Arau and Padang Besar stations; with a total of 490,105 passengers (an average of 1,600 passengers per day) recorded from January to October last year.- Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

MACC arrests former telco director over RM8mil bribe
Who will be the next Opposition leader in the Dewan Rakyat?
Malaysia weighs response after US court strikes down Trump tariffs
Number of flood victims in Sabah continues to rise tonight
PAS' Hadi pays tribute to Muhyiddin as coalition transitions
Newly appointed PN chairman seeks political consensus for all Malaysians
Hamzah, 18 MPs reaffirm support for PN under new chairman Ahmad Samsuri
PKR vet says he'll continue supporting Pakatan despite not defending his seat
Villager hears explosion outside house as fire engulfs homes
School reopening in Paitan, Sabah delayed after worst ever flood destroys classrooms

Others Also Read