Remand extended for murder suspects in Yap Xin Yuan case


KAJANG: The remand period for the three suspects involved in the murder of Yap Xin Yuan has been extended by five days.

Kajang OCPD Asst Comm Naazron Abdul Yusof confirmed the extension when contacted on Sunday (Jan 5).

The three suspects include the victim’s boyfriend, as well as his father and brother.

Previously, Selangor police chief Comm Datuk Hussein Omar Khan said toxicology and post-mortem reports will determine if Yap Xin Yuan died due to an altercation or possible drug use.

Comm Hussein added that the police are also investigating whether it was Yap's boyfriend alone or with accomplices who dumped her body into the river.

ALSO READ :Body found in Banting identified as that of missing Yap Xin Yuan

On Monday (Dec 30), the missing teenager’s body was identified after a DNA test matched with her mother.

“The motive behind the murder is still under investigation,” he said.

Comm Hussein had said then that Yap’s body was found on Sunday (Dec 29) and added that the victim's boyfriend has been arrested.

"It was found at RTB Sg Changgang (in a decomposed state), and physical verification was unable to be conducted. A post-mortem has been conducted at Hospital Banting,” said Comm Hussein.

Yap Xin Yuan was reported missing on Dec 19 after lion dance practice at a basketball court in Batu 11 Cheras.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

MACC arrests former telco director over RM8mil bribe
Who will be the next Opposition leader in the Dewan Rakyat?
Malaysia weighs response after US court strikes down Trump tariffs
Number of flood victims in Sabah continues to rise tonight
PAS' Hadi pays tribute to Muhyiddin as coalition transitions
Newly appointed PN chairman seeks political consensus for all Malaysians
Hamzah, 18 MPs reaffirm support for PN under new chairman Ahmad Samsuri
PKR vet says he'll continue supporting Pakatan despite not defending his seat
Villager hears explosion outside house as fire engulfs homes
School reopening in Paitan, Sabah delayed after worst ever flood destroys classrooms

Others Also Read