PM refuses to comment on calls to release minutes of FT Pardons Board meeting


KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim refused to comment on calls for the Federal Territories Pardons Board to release its meeting minutes on whether an additional royal decree exists for jailed former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak to serve out his sentence at home.

“Did you listen to my speech?” was all that the Prime Minister said when reporters’ asked him about the matter as he was leaving an event at the World Trade Centre here Friday (Jan 10).

ALSO READ: I didn't hide anything about Najib's royal addendum, says Dr Zaliha

Anwar had just delivered the keynote speech at the 73rd annual assembly of the Malaysian Youth Council (MBM).

Calls to release the minutes of the Pardons Board meeting have intensified following a Jan 6 court decision to allow Najib to challenge the government to state whether a decree or addendum exists which would allow him to serve out his six-year prison sentence under house arrest.

ALSO READ: No additional documents attached to Najib's pardon in our records, says PMD's legal affairs division

Najib’s defence team claims that the addendum was part of the Pardons Board meeting in January last year during which his 12-year jail sentence was slashed to six and his RM210mil fine was reduced to RM50mil.

Najib is currently in prison after being found guilty in the case involving SRC International Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MBD).

ALSO READ: Only the Pardons Board can release the minutes of Najib's pardon deliberations, says Dr Zaliha

He is also currently on trial for other alleged wrong-doings that occurred in 1MDB.

PKR leader Datuk Seri Shamsul Iskandar Md Akin has urged the Pardons Board to release its meeting minutes to put an end to the issue over Najib’s purported royal addendum.

Shamsul Iskandar said that the minutes will clarify the circumstances under which the house arrest addendum was issued by then Yang Di-Pertuan Agong Al-Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

MACC arrests former telco director over RM8mil bribe
Who will be the next Opposition leader in the Dewan Rakyat?
Malaysia weighs response after US court strikes down Trump tariffs
Number of flood victims in Sabah continues to rise tonight
PAS' Hadi pays tribute to Muhyiddin as coalition transitions
Newly appointed PN chairman seeks political consensus for all Malaysians
Hamzah, 18 MPs reaffirm support for PN under new chairman Ahmad Samsuri
PKR vet says he'll continue supporting Pakatan despite not defending his seat
Villager hears explosion outside house as fire engulfs homes
School reopening in Paitan, Sabah delayed after worst ever flood destroys classrooms

Others Also Read