Peru's defense minister says 'separatist' foreigners spurring protest violence


  • World
  • Friday, 06 Jan 2023

LIMA (Reuters) - Peru's Defense Minister Jorge Chavez on Thursday accused foreigners of stirring up protests with a view to encouraging separatism in the country's south, as tensions simmer after former President Pedro Castillo was ousted last month.

"They have entered not only with the intention of stirring up violence, but also to integrate this separatist idea of a part of our region in the country," Chavez told a press conference.

Save 30% and win Bosch appliances! More Info

Monthly Plan

RM13.90/month
RM9.73 only

Billed as RM9.73 for the 1st month then RM13.90 thereafters.

Annual Plan

RM12.33/month
RM8.63/month

Billed as RM103.60 for the 1st year then RM148 thereafters.

1 month

Free Trial

For new subscribers only


Cancel anytime. No ads. Auto-renewal. Unlimited access to the web and app. Personalised features. Members rewards.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read


Want to listen to full audio?

Unlock unlimited access to enjoy personalise features on the TheStar.com.my

Already a member? Log In