Sam Bankman-Fried will not face a second trial


FILE PHOTO: Former FTX Chief Executive Sam Bankman-Fried, who faces fraud charges over the collapse of the bankrupt cryptocurrency exchange, leaves the Manhattan federal court in New York City, U.S. March 30, 2023. REUTERS/Amanda Perobelli/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) -U.S. prosecutors said they do not plan to conduct a second trial against Sam Bankman-Fried, who was convicted last month of stealing from customers of his now-bankrupt FTX cryptocurrency exchange.

In a letter filed on Friday night in federal court in Manhattan, prosecutors said the "strong public interest" in a prompt resolution of their case against the 31-year-old former billionaire outweighed the benefits of a second trial.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

Analysis-New cybersecurity rules for US defense industry create barrier for some small suppliers
Tesla unveils cheaper Cybertruck variant, cuts Cyberbeast price to drive demand
Los Angeles sues Roblox over child exploitation claim
Google Gemini, Apple add music-focused generative AI features
ByteDance building out artificial intelligence team in US
Sony shuts down video-game studio Bluepoint
AppLovin plans Its own social platform after failed TikTok bid
Laser-written glass can store data for millennia, Microsoft says
OpenAI's Altman tells leaders regulation 'urgently' needed
Ireland, home to EU tech hubs, mulls teen social media ban

Others Also Read