Fahmi: Govt mulls developing social media platform for M'sians


Fahmi said this is because some social media application providers are profiting off Malaysians but fail to ensure user safety. — Bernama

KUALA LUMPUR: The government is considering the proposal to develop a social media application specifically for Malaysians, said Communications Minister Fahmi Fadzil.

He said this is because some social media application providers are profiting off Malaysians but fail to ensure user safety.

"Last year, it was estimated that Facebook alone earned US$600mil (RM2.6bil) from Malaysia, but what have they done to ensure that the condition and use of their platform in Malaysia are safe?

"They lack commitment, so we need to study and assess the situation. It is not easy to develop our own social media platform, but some countries have attempted it. We will look into it,” he told reporters at the ‘Himpunan Pembebasan Palestin’ rally yesterday (Aug 4)

Fahmi said he has also met with celebrity host Datuk Aznil Nawawi, who came up with the proposal following Meta Platforms Inc’s (Meta) recent action of removing social media postings related to Palestine. – Bernama

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read


Want to listen to full audio?

Unlock unlimited access to enjoy personalise features on the TheStar.com.my

Already a member? Log In