Boy chokes to death on banana fritters


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 08 Mar 2015

JOHOR BARU: A seven-year-old boy choked to death on banana fritters at a day care in Taman Austin Perdana here on Sunday.

Ong Kai Yun, 32, had dropped off her son, Kee Shao Ming, and an eight-year-old daughter at the centre before heading for work at about 7.30am.

Half and hour later, she got a call telling her that Shao Ming was vomitting and fainted.

Shao Ming was rushed to the Sultan Ismail Hospital and was dead upon arrival.

Ong said that she was shocked when told that a piece of banana fritter was found stuck in his throat.

“Even the doctors were shocked as to why the teacher (at the day care) did not alert them of the food as they could have saved my son if they had known the reason,” she added.

Ong said she was told that in all choking cases, the victim only had about three minutes to be saved.

She said her son had been going to the day care since December last year. The boy attended the afternoon school.

A police report has been lodged and the case classified as sudden death pending further development.


Save 30% and win Bosch appliances! More Info

Monthly Plan

RM13.90/month
RM9.73 only

Billed as RM9.73 for the 1st month then RM13.90 thereafters.

Annual Plan

RM12.33/month
RM8.63/month

Billed as RM103.60 for the 1st year then RM148 thereafters.

1 month

Free Trial

For new subscribers only


Cancel anytime. No ads. Auto-renewal. Unlimited access to the web and app. Personalised features. Members rewards.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Others Also Read


Want to listen to full audio?

Unlock unlimited access to enjoy personalise features on the TheStar.com.my

Already a member? Log In