Petronas to cut spending by RM50bil over 4 years


Petronas president and group chief executive officer Datuk Wan Zulkiflee Wan Ariffin

KUALA LUMPUR: Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas) plans to cut expenses by as much as RM50bil (US$11.4bil) over the next four years and defer some projects, the Wall Street Journal reported.

The Malaysian state oil company will go through another round of cuts to capital and operating expenditure, the paper said, citing an internal memo. 

A company spokesman confirmed the contents of the memo. 

Petronas faces two to three tough years and crude prices could average US$30 a barrel in 2016, its president and CEO Datuk Wan Zulkiflee Wan Ariffin said in a Bloomberg interview on Jan. 11.

Brent crude has sunk to a 12-year low amid a global oversupply, delaying US$380bil worth of investment on 68 major upstream projects, according to industry consultant Wood Mackenzie Ltd. 

The price plunge has forced companies and governments to reduce costs as revenues from hydrocarbon sales drop. 

Petronas needs to juggle investing in long-term projects for future growth and meeting dividend obligations to the government.

Wan Zulkiflee said in the interview last week that Petronas remains committed to its multi-billion dollar projects as the company sticks to its capital expenditure plan of as much as RM350bil over the next five years. - Bloomberg


Limited time offer:
Just RM5 per month.

Monthly Plan

RM13.90/month
RM5/month

Billed as RM5/month for the 1st 6 months then RM13.90 thereafters.

Annual Plan

RM12.33/month

Billed as RM148.00/year

1 month

Free Trial

For new subscribers only


Cancel anytime. No ads. Auto-renewal. Unlimited access to the web and app. Personalised features. Members rewards.
Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Others Also Read